Friday, July 18, 2008

Australia July 2008 - Day 6 - Thursday, 17 July 2008

Editor's Note: These posts are several days late, so start on Day 4 if you want to keep up in order!


Today in a nutshell:
- Daintree Forest
- Cape Tribulation

I'm recovering from my plane trip to Cairns - I've developed a cold while I'm here and the descent into Cairns was quite painful (eardrums bursting painful). Because we'd already booked our all-day tour to the Daintree Rainforest, I press on and take a pillow along for the ride to sneeze, blow my nose and sleep along the way. We pass several fields of sugar cane and I included a photo so you can see what that looks like in the native form. They produce thousands of pounds of pure sugar from these crops annually.







The World Heritage Daintree Forest is a pocket of ancient tropical rainforest located on the driest continent on earth. Our guide, Sven, is one of many at BTS Tours. We travel via an all-terrain vehicle for this trip which includes a wildlife river cruise along the Daintree River where we spot a few crocs. I have included a photo here for you.




Our day also included the Alexandra Lookout, a walk in the rainforest, lunch and a walk along the beaches of Cape Tribulation which looks out on the Coral Sea.


Tomorrow is our trip to the Great Barrier Reef and I am hopeful that my ears and head will cooperate! Cheers!

No comments: